2.05.2007

My Subaru is Cursed

In my last entry I mentioned the largeish dent/scrape that anonymously appeared over the weekend on the rear quarter-panel of my car. So this morning, during the ~8am frenzy of parents dropping off their kids at the elementary school across the street, I look out the window from our kitchen to see a woman putting a note on my windshield! I thought "Oh good, the person who dented my car came back to leave a note, shame on me for for doubting the integrity of our new Sunnyvale neighbors" as I went outside to greet her and see what she had to say. Ugh. She was the flustered driver of the the kid-filled minivan responsible for YET ANOTHER scrape on my car, having turned too sharply to get around my car (parked on the street) to get off the road to drop off kids. At least she left a note, and insurance info. But seriously - you would think that living in a quiet neighborhood in Sunnyvale my car would be relatively safe from dents and scrapes as opposed to if we lived in say, San Francisco. Grrrr. So I guess I can get the minor scrapes in the front from the woman today fixed (as I have her insurance info) but the more significant dent/scrape/gash in the back would have to come out of pocket. Oh well, cosmetic... [grits teeth].

3 comments:

Steve said...

Get a check from the honest person's insurer and pocket it until you're sure your neighbors have learned how to avoid parked cars! Some of the repair costs for repainting will be shared, at least. And think of it as an opportunity to get a new paint job-- a nice pink, perhaps.

Anonymous said...

When I lived in DC, I parked my VW on the street. One weekend a garbage truck creamed the front end. Within 36 hours and before I called the insurance co, someone else rammed the rear end. Witnesses swore to the police that the second guy had hit both the front and the back of the car! Neither culprit left a note. My dad said, "Trash that car! It's a goner." I didn't and it drove around NC for many years after that. Take heart; get it fixed and painted. Steve's idea sounds good. Pink. You're in California after all.

ahb said...

Shouldn't you be at work by the time moms are dropping their kids off for school?

The early-bird doesn't get his car scraped...