5.16.2007

NL All-Star Ballot


Part II of my MLB All-Star Ballot:

1B: There are some great candidates here, with Derek Lee, Todd Helton, Adrian Gonzalez, and prince Fielder all performing quite well so far. I think given the Brewers' surge thus far and his impressive 12 HRs and .600 SLG, I'll give my vote to Prince Fielder. I wouldn't complain if you voted for Helton or Lee - some of those doubles of Lee's are going to start turning into homers soon. Unless something changes, Pujols and Howard shouldn't win this.

2B: Kelly Johnson of the Braves has been a pleasant surprise for Bobby Cox and is probably worth a look here, but Chase Utley beats him out.

3B: Another strong NL position with Chipper, Cabrera, ARam, and Wright. However, the Braves are playing well and Chipper beats these guys out in all the meaningful stats, and gets my vote.

SS: Wow with the way that Jose Reyes started the season I am surprised there's even some competition here, but look at what J.J. Hardy has done - it's pretty ridiculous, considering how much he struggled last year. Reyes has the speed (23 SBs) and OBP advantage, but Hardy has 12 HRs to Reyes's 2, and edges him in RBIs and SLG, and OPS. You can't go wrong with either one really, and lost in the shuffle is Hanley Ramirez (batting .345, but only 8 RBIs to go with 5 HRs), but I'm going to go with J.J. Hardy here.

C: Too bad Brian McCann lost some time to an injury. As it is, I think Russell Martin has to win here. McCann might be the clear choice by June, however.

OF: Hmmm... Well, Bonds, for one. Matt Holliday for two. Number three can be your choice of Dunn, Beltran, Griffey Jr, or Carlos Lee. I guess I'll go with Beltran, as I like centerfielders better. Honorable mentions to Aaron Rowand and Josh Hamilton.

All right, now it's up to you to point out where and why I'm wrong.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what's coming, but I need to type it anyways:

Adam Dunn is obviously the third outfielder.

Tom said...

I just had to provoke you, Sky.

Anonymous said...

Tom, you should be in broadcasting! you know these guys like family. i had no idea you were THIS sports savvy. i guess i vote for brian roberts 'cause he's the only guy i know. and not barry and not manny. there, i've exhausted my baseball knowledge.
mom
ps - you can stop laughing now.