6.21.2007

Veggie Soup

Mmmmm. It's always a good day when I make my homemade veggie soup. That is one food I have really loved my whole life - I remember my babysitter Salty feeding it to me when I got home from kindergarten and thinking that it was just the most delicious taste ever. She didn't leave me a recipe, but I've been trying to duplicate it for the past couple years and am always happy with how it turns out. It is a little different from your average veggie soup - no beans, no noodles, rice or other starch. I usually make it a bit spicy - I keep throwing ingredients into the broth until it tastes right. Anyway, in case anyone ever wants to try it, here's the "recipe" as it exists currently:

Essentials: chicken broth (I usually make from a rotisserie chicken), garlic, onion, cabbage, celery, parsley, can of chopped tomatoes, dash of soy sauce, dash of worcestershire, whole seed mustard, dash of tabasco, black pepper, dash of balsamic vinegar

Optional but highly recommended: carrots, yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms, potato, broccoli, peas, green beans, corn, kale, spinach, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, oregano, chipolte powder, parmesan cheese

No real technique to speak of - I put the potatoes in first if I'm using them and follow with everything else 10 minutes later. 10 minutes after that it is ready to eat (I like my veggies a little crunchy). Always best after sitting in the fridge overnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious. I agree that crunchy is best, and that's after living in North Carolina for 30 years where everything's 'cooked down' almost to mush.
-Dad (in-law) on the Cape, who looks forward to seeing you and Tom this weekend