12.10.2007

My 15 minutes

Look! I'm famous:

The article about our telescope is linked above. I thought this quote was pretty good:

The science is known as helioseismology, and it is no small task. "It's like deducing the interior structure of a piano by listening to it fall down a flight of stairs," Scherrer said.

In case you couldn't tell by the eyebrows, I'm the guy in the bunny suit on top. Actually, this picture was taken about a year ago before we were done building our telescope, but now that we have delivered it to Goddard (why I've been in DC a couple times recently) the press releases are coming out. Kinda funny - in that picture there's no screw anywhere near where I'm putting the wrench, the photographer just wanted to make it look like I was doing something and apparently that was a photogenic place to act like I was screwing something in. And he spent some 20 minutes getting the angle just right so the flash would glint off the telescope's front window like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool, Tom! And, yep, I can tell it is you.
Mom