6.29.2008

Grown Ups

I still feel mostly like a college student at heart but sometimes something happens in my life that makes me feel all grown up. This month, two such things happened.

#1) I made the last payment on my car, Squeaky. Squeaky is now mine to do with what I will. Maybe I'll paint him orange and put in a set of hydraulics. #2) Tom and I got our first (and hopefully only) real adult "bedroom set". We got it from a local furniture company (Zocalo), which is owned by our friend Cara's cousin. They have a twice-yearly warehouse sale with crazy good prices where people stand in line all night to get first shot at the goods. We didn't stand in line all night, but still spent the better part of two days waiting in line to shop and then waiting in line to pick up our furniture. Anyway, the final results are below - Tom and I still can't quite believe we have a HUGE queen-sized bed (we must have been the last married couple in America to be sharing a full-size mattress) and actual matching furniture. Yay!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah. Looks like I'm going back to a twin bed in a month and a half when I start law school. I'll be 29 years old...

Sarah said...

The furniture looks great! And what timing! Steve and I got our first bedroom set this weekend as well! We went down to Macy's in Sandy and splurged on a bunch of floor models. Our set is missing the tall dresser, but we figure we'll find something on Craigslist that will do.

Anonymous said...

Alas, you are not the last ones with a full-sized bed. Now that our Prius is on the way, we have to choose between a Wii and a bedroom set for our next big purchase. I think we might go with the Wii....

: )

Anonymous said...

We had fun with you guys this past weekend and congratulate you on your "adulthood." I never have been able to figure out when this starts. According to your blog, it must have happened for us a long time ago. But I agree that it's hard to tell. And who wants to be a "grownup" anyway?!
Your South Carolina Kinfolks

Anonymous said...

Furniture looks great, but I'm going to comment on Squeaky. Love the hydraulics clip. I think you should do it. And not worry about painting it orange.

-Parental Unit

Amanda said...

Congratulations on both grown-up acquisitions! I actually paid my car off a few months ago as well and it was a highly satisfying accomplishment. One a side note, we recently read that Consumer Reports magazine said you can save around $30,000 if you drive your car for 15 years...which might essentially mean that most people trade cars every 7.5 years. But anyway, may your bedroom set and your car both have good long lives.