9.04.2008

New Wheels

I got some new wheels! After much deliberation and several weeks/months of research and failed searching on Craigslist, I finally got myself road bike a couple weeks ago - being a 2007 model I think I got a good deal. I've been a mountain biker for some time now, but have never had a road bike. A major reason for getting it was for me to use in commuting to work - my 8 mile ride is on a great road for cycling with wide bike lane shoulders, few lights, and only a couple gentle hills. Because it basically serves as an efficient non-highway artery through the Silicon Valley and Stanford areas it is well-populated by cyclists every morning/afternoon. Each time a pack of road bikers whizzed by me as I buzzed along on my mountain bike I probably got a little closer to getting my own set of skinny tires. Commuting aside, however, I'm also looking forward to (and have already enjoyed) just biking for fun around here as well. The combination of the weather, the nearby Santa Cruz mountains and foothills, and the abundance of traffic-free well-paved roads has made cycling extremely popular around here. I guess the generally plentiful disposable income among Bay Area folks probably helps, too. As someone with an often-sedentary style desk job (now is one of those times) bike commuting is also a good way of getting some regular exercise.

Also, there is a very refreshing camaraderie among bike commuters, in contrast to the anonymous swarm that car commuting can feel like - you often get to chat for a little with someone either while riding or at a stoplight, or you find someone going your speed and trade the draft for a while. I'm fortunate to have it as a viable alternative to driving and if you have the option I encourage you to try it out too!

I haven't gotten Kate to take a picture of me looking all snazzy on my new bike with my svelte biking shorts on, so you'll have to make do with the above image and your fertile imagination instead. It's technically called a "Via Nirone 7" as that was the address of the original Bianchi store in Milan, but I think she needs a new name and am soliciting suggestions.

Is anyone else out there a road biker or a bike commuter (other than you, Marc)? Have any suggestions for a newbie? Two weeks and 150 miles in I'm loving it, and saving $2.75/day on gas is nice too. No need to check the Tour de France results for me yet, but stay tuned for some pictures of Tom in spandex, if you're lucky.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should name the bike after your favorite STD?

Tom said...

Nah, I wouldn't want to steal Erin's thunder. And it would risk reopening the wounds from that sad time when 'Chlamydia' was stolen (or was it just the bike's license plate?). By the way, is the phrase "favorite STD" sort of an oxymoron?

Steve said...

Sarah likes Klebsiella, if you think a bacterium might be a good inspiration. I'm pretty sure it's not sexually transmitted, for the most part.

Or you could always call you Italian Stallion "Sly."

STQ said...

You're getting too fancy with the whole shebang. I say go with Bob. I think the simplest names are the best, don't you?

Sarah said...

My friend Ed (the cantor at our wedding ceremony) loves Klebsiella. He does a great reenactment.
"Klebsiel-la!" (in booming paternal voice)
"Yes, father?" (in doting fair maiden voice)

Anyway, I'm a road biker. We love having just one car between us. (My other car is my K2 Mach 1.0!) We both live less than 2 miles from work (Steve less than 1 mile), but there are a lot of steep hills involved, so it's a great workout. My only complaint is biking home at 2am (as I have been lately) and FREEZING. I think I'm bringing gloves and a fleece to work tonight!

A said...

Time out. Cantor at a Catholic wedding ceremony? Is a cantor something outside of the context Judaism? Is it a general word for that kind of dude?

Steve said...

Ari, the word's Latin in origin. Cantar, chanter, it just means "sing."

Anonymous said...

well, I would like to suggest you name that sleek lady Sophia. As in good old Sophia Loren.
auntie