11.14.2008

500 miles

I have now officially passed the 500-mile mark on my new bike! I've had it for about 10 weeks, so I'm averaging 50 miles/week. So, assuming all of that was travel that would have otherwise been done via car (it wasn't, but whatever), and a car that gets 25 mpg, I've saved about 20 gallons of gasoline. With gas at a (now liberally) estimated $3/gallon that gets me to an amazing $60 saved... so yeah, I've still got a ways to go to "pay off" my bike. Let's not mention how much I've spent on bike accessories (hint - probably more than $60).

Did I mention that I like riding just for the fun of it?

1 comment:

Steve said...

For Sarah and me, the math has been a bit nicer--no second car payment!

Although it looks like she'll be stealing my car for big chunks of time this winter, so it's time to look for something with treaded tires.