8.16.2009

If teaching doesn't work out for me...

I think I might have a promising career as a lunchlady.

One of my goals for the end of summer was to stock our freezer with healthy breakfasts and lunches that I can grab on the go on days I'm too busy to make something. Breakfasts are particularly challenging because my new teacher schedule has me waking up at 5:30 or 6:00 am (class starts at 7:27) and I just can't force myself to eat that early in the morning.

So, in the last couple of weeks I have made the following:

~12 Gorgonzola Burgers (top left)
~80 muffins (top right), both apple-walnut and pumpkin-cherry. I did make them healthier, substituting some apple sauce for oil, halving the sugar, and using whole-wheat flour.
~27 burritos (middle / left), both beef and chicken
~20 baked potatoes (bottom left), with vegetarian chili, broccoli, onions, mushrooms, and cheese
~5 batches of pesto (bottom right)

Tom has contributed, too, with double batches of pecan bars and lemon bars, SOME of which found their way into the freezer. Suspiciously, I couldn't find them to photograph when I was making this post, though. Do you have anything to tell me, Tom?

So, the freezer is packed and I am getting ready for my first day of school (tomorrow!). Hopefully this will last us a couple months, at least, and it will be nice not to have to eat the dreaded school sloppy joes on mornings that we couldn't quite stretch the leftovers.

Banjo and Rufus say: "We can has cheezburger?"

2 comments:

Marc said...

I had half of a pecan bar. It was quite good...

Anonymous said...

I'd like to place an order for two gorgonzala burgers, a chicken burrito and a pecan bar for November 23rd. And two of the house pale ales, thank you very much.
Hope the first week of school is a good one. We look forward to seeing you both at Thanksgiving.

-Parental Units on the Cape