12.26.2009

SDO has a launch date!


  Old news for those that follow this sort of thing, but it's exciting that the Solar Dynamics Observatory (the satellite that holds the instruments I worked on) has a "definite" launch date now after a year-plus of delays and schedule shuffling!  It's supposed to blast off on Feb. 3rd from Florida.  Hopefully I will get to go see it in person.

There's a neat video of the project with sound bytes from a lot of the NASA people I worked with over the last couple years on the SDO website.  Look at the right under "SDO Engineers Create What Never Was" because I guess that's what we do. (?)  The video direct link is here.  Bonus points for anyone who can spot the 2-3 occurrences of yours truly in the video.  I think I'm pretty obscured in a couple of them (ie @ 0:53 I'm behind the red metal piece).

Here's a cool picture of SDO's ride (an Atlas-V) arriving at the launch pad for vertical integration.  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed the thing doesn't blow up while getting the thing up to 7,000 mph...


3 comments:

Marc said...

"I'm just keeping my fingers crossed the thing doesn't blow up while getting the thing up to 7,000 mph..."

Yeah, that would be less than optimal.

Steve said...

Old news to me! Definitely the silver lining of the MSL delays.

Tom said...

Some cool pictures of the integration and launch prep work here too:

http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/search.cfm?cat=211

Also, apparently we're going to be delayed at least a week or so, so everyone can probably make other plans for Feb. 3rd now.