2.17.2010

SDO Launch!

Belated but still interesting - the Solar Dynamics Observatory, with two instruments I worked on (HMI and AIA), finally launched last week from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.  I got to see it in person with the parents and many other Lockheed folks, and despite the one-day delay it was quite an exciting experience!  It worked out great for me, as I got to visit parents, grandparents, and my aunt and uncle, not to mention catch the final night launch of the shuttle ever*.  Here's a couple photos and links to many more:



 

  

  

* - Final shuttle launch in July may well end up being a night launch if it gets delayed more than a couple days.

Links:
Spaceflight Now page
SDO NASA page

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there and I loved it all! What an experience to see something that you (not me!)worked on lift off and head out to space. We missed you, Kate.
Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy.