9.26.2009

Phun Physics

Thought I'd share some highlights from my new life as a teacher. I'm still amazingly busy but really enjoying myself and my kids!

My top 10 best stories / anecdotes so far

  • Using Physics as an excuse to watch roadrunner cartoons and the Simpsons in class.
  • Surprising and startling them with demos like "pound your hand with a hammer". I couldn't find a good video of this but the idea is that you put a large mass on your hand/arm (I used an 18 lb block of aluminum) and hit it with a hammer as hard as you can. It won't hurt... I promise!
  • A student showing up for class wearing these. (Make sure you scroll down far enough to see the picture. Creepy, eh?)
  • Physics aerobics! Try to stand with your heels against the wall and touch your toes without bending your knees. One of my students can... but it turns out he's a hyper-flexible waterpolo player. Can you?
  • Outtakes from our water rocket launching project. Most launches went fine, but 3 rockets did explode on the launch pad and one took off sideways across the campus quad... right at the principal. No injuries, though!
  • Stabbing myself with a fork attempting to do this demo.
  • Walking around the room while they're problem solving and feeling like almost everyone is getting it!
  • Playing with super-sensitive motion sensors. The kids really got a kick out of seeing a graph of their movements on a computer screen. We also talked about how motion sensors worked and I showed an incredible video about a blind boy from Sacramento who can actually echolocate! He's good enough at it to be able to skateboard, ride a bike, and walk without a cane... and he literally has no eyes. If you want to check out the video it is in six parts on youtube here. It's worth watching if you've got an hour (or even 10-20 minutes for the first parts).
  • Students giving me links to weird websites/videos, like this one. I'm not sure why they thought I needed to see that, but it looks a lot like Banjo getting a belly rub...
  • Lots of kids telling me that they like / love Physics!

4 comments:

Steve said...

yay! congrats, kate! sounds like you're having lots of fun, and that your job is very rewarding! (by the way, this is sarah on steve's computer)

Marc said...

My brain decided to parse the word "echolocate" as "e-chocolate"...

Anonymous said...

Echolocation.

Michael said...

My favorite Simpsons quote of all time. "Lisa, in this house we OBEY THE LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS!"