9.12.2007

The Power of Oprah

A while ago, I posted about Kiva.org, which is a microlending website that promotes interest-free loans to people and businesses in need throughout the world.

Today I logged into Kiva to check my account and browse the new loan requests. I clicked on the "businesses" page and was shocked to see only TWO businesses in need. Last time I had looked, there were hundreds, if not thousands. Anyway, at the top of the page was the following statement:

"Due to a recent surge in support ignited by viewers of the Oprah Winfrey Show and readers of President Clinton's newly released book Giving, there is currently a shortage of businesses in need of loans. The Kiva.org staff and our Field Partners are working overtime to get more businesses on the website. In the meantime, thank you for your patience!"

Pretty Crazy, eh?! I'm glad to see such influential people really making a positive difference in the world.

3 comments:

Steve said...

You be careful what you write about Oprah. The world is watching and you wouldn't want a visit from the Oprah mafia.

Oprah, if you are reading this, I'd like to say I'm your biggest fan, and that I accept cash or checks, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Steve, the link to "the world is watching" is very interesting. I'd better watch it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Oprah, I am your second-biggest fan and just like you, I hate exercising. And I probably have watched your show a lot more than these kids.
Judy on the Cape

Tom said...

I found out about the power of the internet in high school when I heard from a friend, who heard from his friend (an intern with Rykodisc, a small record company in NYC) that the jazz group Medeski Martin, and Wood was leaving that label for the more prestigious and better-known Bluenote. I posted something asking about it on a MMW newsgroup and a day later got an angry phone call from the original source of the news! Yikes. Turns out it was all true, he just didn't want to be caught as the source of the leak.