9.01.2007

Some Summer Fruit Salad Recipes

I got really excited when I saw these in my most recent issue of "Cook's Illustrated". I made the first one for a bbq today and it's very tasty!

Cantaloupe, Plums, and Cherries with Mint and Vanilla
Combine 4 t sugar and 1-2 T minced fresh mint in a large bowl. Add 1/4 t vanilla extract. Let sit 30 seconds.
Gently toss 1/2 medium canaloupe, 2 chopped plums, 8 oz chopped cherries or blueberries with the sugar mixture. Let stand at room temp 15-30 min. Stir in 1-2 T lime juice to taste

Honeydew, Mango, and Raspberries with Lime and Ginger
Combine 4 t sugar, 2 t lime zest, and a pinch of cayenne pepper in a large bowl.
Toss 1/2 medium honeydew, 1 chopped mango, and 1-2 t grated fresh ginger with sugar mixture. Let stand 15-30 min. Gently stir in raspberries and lime juice to taste.

Nectarines, Grapes, and Blueberries with Orange and Cardamom
Combine 4 t sugar, 1 t orange zest, and 1/8 t ground cardamom in a large bowl.
Gently toss 3 chopped nectarines, 9 oz green grapes (halved) and 1 pt blueberries with sugar mixture. Let stand 15-30 min. Stir in lime juice to taste.

Peaches, Blackberries, and Strawberries with Basil and Pepper
Combine 4 t sugar, 2 T minced basil, and 1/2 t ground pepper in a large bowl.
Gently toss 3 m peaches, 1 pt blackberries, and 1 pt quartered strawberries with sugar mixture. Let stand 15-30 min. Stir in lime juice to taste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate,

Going to do my part to balance the Wii/Fruit Salad comment ratio. I am definitely out of my element on the gyroscope/no gyroscope debate, but I do enjoy a good mango. I'm going to make one of these this weekend. Thanks.
Wendy

Steve said...

Speaking of mango, Sarah and I made this earlier this summer, and it was good.
Mango Avocado Chicken

We may have used some other reddish pepper rather than a Chili, though.