10.10.2007

Playoff Predictions - Round 2

Well, I was right on a couple accounts and definitely wrong on a couple of accounts in my division series predictions. I (happily) missed the boat on the Yankees and ARod, although Jeter (0 BB, 3 H, 3 GIDP) and Wang (5.2 IP in 2 starts, 14 H, 3 HR, 19.06 ERA) deserve 10 times whatever criticisms ARod will get from the media.

Boston I got dead on with a sweep over the Angels, but even Beckett's biggest fans wouldn't have expected as historically great of a performance as he gave in Game 1. Beckett retired 19 straight batters in his 4-hit complete game shutout. Also, no walks, no extra-base hits, and 83/108 pitches were strikes. That is utter domination, perhaps not seen since the likes of Don Larsen.

Over in the NL I was way off base on the DBacks, but still don't really see how they keep winning. Drew, Young, and of course Webb all played exceptionally well - Drew and Young seem to be particularly valuable on defense. In this series, I think Ted Lilly and Rich Hill just happened to pitch poorly, while Doug Davis and Livan Hernandez surprised by pitching pretty well - along with the Arizona bullpen. The Cubs' heavy hitters also deserve some blame, with Soriano, Lee, and A-Ram going a combined 6 for 39 (all singles) and 3 walks.

The Rockies walked all over the Phillies in their sweep, continuing their amazing hot streak. I'm not sure if this was more of a case of Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins, and Chase Utley all slumping at the same time for Philly, or if the Rockies pitching is actually decent. Either way, nobody could have predicted the contributions made by Kaz Matsui or Yorvit Torrealba.

So I'm 2 for 4 in series predictions. Let's see what's in store for round two:

Cleveland vs. Boston
With the way the Sox are clicking now, it's hard to pick against them. Beckett is in top form, Schilling is amped up on post-season adrenaline, and Manny and Papi are healthy and hitting. I think Paul Byrd doesn't get as lucky this time around, but the CC/Beckett and Fausto/Schilling matchups could be great pitching duels. This one is going at least 6 games, but I'll say the Red Sox take it, winning one of the first 2 and then games 3 and 4 easily. Sox prevail, 4-2, but I'll be rooting for the Indians (and the Fausto-Ubaldo matchup) again.


Colorado vs. Arizona
Ummm... I guess I shouldn't dismiss the DBacks again, but it's hard not to. Brandon Webb is the best pitcher in the NL and was on fire in his Game 1 start. He should be able to beat the Rocks twice, but I think Colorado easily takes the games at home against Livan Hernandez and Micah Owings. My guess is that Holliday, Helton, and Hawpe pick things up a little more in this series and put up some crooked numbers on the scoreboard more often. Rockies in 6, or 4-0 against pitchers not named Webb.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't expect to see Don Larsen invoked in your predictions, but Beckett was almost that good. (Larsen wasn't even the ace of the '56 Yankees staff.)

I like your picks for Round 2, but the Red Sox could sweep if Manny* and Ortiz remain hot

-Parental Unit

*Do you know he has two sons, the first named Manny and the second--Manny? True fact.

Anonymous said...

True statement!

(I don't actually know that, but would parents lie?)