6.23.2009

Banjo and the Basenjis


Last weekend we got to dog sit for a couple of Basenjis. They're an interesting breed - they're African and are pretty far from the genetic tree of most dogs. They're notable for their thin, bristly fur, "aloofness", and their yodel (they can't bark!). Contrary to popular belief, being barkless doesn't mean being quiet. We found that out this weekend, for sure.

Banjo wasn't sure what to think about these intruders, so he put on a bit of an attitude. What a tough guy!


















But soon he discovered that the basenjis could do things that he couldn't, like get the stuffy toys down from their high shelf, get into the trashcan, and snitch things from tables. So they decided to form a posse, Banjo and the Basenjis. And they all lived happily ever after, the end.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's Banjo wearing? He looks like Banjo-the-Monk in that thing...

Tom said...

Yeah, about Banjo's attire - ask Kate if she recently learned how (not) to wash woolen sweaters...

On the plus side, Banjo got a nice new monk-robe out of the deal! Kate wouldn't let me keep it for him as a doggie sweater, though. I thought he looked cool.

Anonymous said...

Does he like it?

Anonymous said...

Banjo-Wan Kenobi!

Amanda said...

Oh, I think you should keep the sweater. That picture of Banjo is just so funny!

Sarah said...

The Basenjis look a LOT like a dog that my friend Maggie's boyfriend brought back from deployment to the US. He's an ER doc getting deployed to secret locations. An injured dog wandered near his site, and the docs fixed him up. I wonder if they were in Africa! Wish I could add a photo to this comment....

Anonymous said...

Wow! I listened to the yodeling link and it sounded like the coyotes on Cape Cod! And I am not the only one who thinks that; you should have seen Lizzie the cat go bonkers when she heard it. No Basenji for me; I'll take Banjo anytime.
Mom