6.20.2009

Marshmallow Launchers and Other Physics Projects


After my Physics students finished their standardized tests, I decided to give them a break from the lecture circuit and turn to some research and engineering projects.

First they spent about a week researching a Physics topic of their choice and then gave a poster and presentation on it for the class. I was amazed at what a great job the kids did, as a whole. They had some really interesting topics (MagLev trains, Speedo swimsuit designs, Astronaut Ice Cream, LRAD, body heat powered pacemakers, etc). One set of kids really wanted to do something related to birth control (I think they were in the middle of health class) but had a tough time coming up with a solid connection to Physics. They tried to convince me it was related to "fluid dynamics" but it got vetoed.

Then, for the last couple weeks in class we built marshmallow launchers with popsicle sticks and a rubberband. They had two goals - to launch a marshmallow as far as possible, and to be able to hit a bucket at ten feet. The "winning" team managed to launch the marshmallow 36 feet AND hit the bucket! Of course, we also had a major marshmallow war one day in class and ate a bunch of marshmallows along the way, so everyone was really a winner. There were a huge variety of designs, ranging from a standard catapult to a bow-and-arrow to a slingshot to a rubber band cannon. This project was interesting for me as a teacher because the kids who had struggled with the more academic material this semester really embraced it and often were more savvy and intuitive than the top students.

Anyway, the success of the marshmallow launchers makes me want to incorporate more engineering-type projects into my class next year - hopefully spaced throughout the curriculum instead of just at the end. I've got a few ideas, (mousetrap cars, rockets, build-an-instrument, blimps, boats) but haven't really built many of them myself, so if anyone out there has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them!

1 comment:

A said...

I know you stopped going to school with me after 8th grade, but sometime in HS we did balsa wood gliders, and had a fairly basic CAD program that we used to help design them. That would fit your criteria...