1.23.2007

Newton fact 'o the day

I'm currently, albeit slowly, reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, and in one of the early chapters there's a pretty amusing passage about Isaac Newton and his eccentricities that I thought I'd share:

"Newton was a decidedly odd figure - brilliant beyond measure, but solitary, joyless, prickly to the point of paranoia, famously distracted (upon swinging his feet out of bed in the morning he would reportedly sometimes sit for hours, immobilized by the sudden rush of thoughts to his head), and capable of the most riveting strangeness. He built his own laboratory, the first at Cambridge, but then engaged in the most bizarre experiments. Once he inserted a bodkin-a long needle of the sort used for sewing leather-into his eye socket and rubbed it around "betwixt my ewe and the bone as near to [the] backside of my eye as I could" just to see what would happen. What happened, miraculously, was nothing-at least nothing lasting. On another occasion, he stared at the Sun for as long as he could bear, to determine what effect it would have upon his vision. Again he escaped lasting damage, though he had to spend some days in a darkened room before his eyes forgave him."

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Crazy! I especially like the fact that he sat for hours on the edge of his bed after just waking up. Maybe he's one of those people who use more of their brain than the rest of us (something like a mere 13%?)... if that's what using more of one's brain means -- being paralyzed by a constant stream of brilliant thoughts and ideas -- I think I'd rather just use my 13% and enjoy myself outside and active ;)
I love the part about staring at the sun!