8.15.2008

Catch up

Just a quick post to let y'all know what we've been up to recently. Our camera is currently giving us an ominous "memory card error" no matter which memory card we put in it, so no photos this time (and perhaps for a little while until we get it fixed or get a new one).

We've been doing lots of "socializing" with our wonderful friends around here - feels like the old college days where someone would e-mail out "Who wants to grab dinner tonight" and some number of people (10-20) would show up to eat. Friday, we had a group over for the Olympics opening ceremony (which was AWESOME).

On Saturday I played a soccer game in the morning and then we hung out and watched more Olympics and played some board games with some folks in the afternoon.

On Sunday, six of us ventured into the city for brunch and some city-activities. The other four went to see the Dale Chihuly exhibit at the De Young (Tom and I didn't get tickets in time and it sold out). So we wandered Golden Gate Park around until we heard some swing music wafting from a bridge nearby. Turns out it was "Lindy in the Park", a weekly get-together of swing dancers in the bay area! Neither of us had really done any serious dancing since college, but it was fun to get out there and dance to some lively music in the great outdoors. As a totally random aside, I ran into a swing dancer I had known (and danced in Jump Start) with at Dartmouth, Mihai. I had no idea he was living out here - he's teaching "blues dance" full time now. I danced a song with him and basically embarrassed myself - I've forgotten a LOT since those old glory days in college. After the other folks got out of their exhibit, we went to the Dahlia Garden in the park, which is one of my favorite places. On the way home, we went and had pizza and beers and a little Frank's Zoo in our old Foster City hangout (and hookah bar), Waterfront Pizza.

This week has been pretty standard so far - Monday cooking dinner together and romping in the park with 'Jo, Tuesday geeky game group (now with Bailey!), Wednesday soccer game, Thursday gathering with the friends at Cara's house for more Olympics watching and eating of grilled food, today, who knows. Tomorrow we're playing a Kickball game with some of Tom's friends from work. And probably drinking some mojitos. Hopefully one of them has a functioning camera - it seems like there might be some good kickball photo ops.

Later, gators.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys have been having a great time! Yay Frank's Zoo!

I'm into my final six hours of work (ever?), and starting in the wee hours of the morning I'm beginning my marathon drive first home to pack up the rest of my stuff, and then down to Colorado. Hopefully I can make it by Sunday night, and then school starts bright'n'early Tuesday morning.

Good luck with the camera. I'm having some serious issues with my old laptop in the last few days. Not fun.