10.12.2008

Worst Drink Ever.

Our friends Amanda and Gordie have their own cooking blog now! It is much more professional than ours- including delicious looking photos and everything! It looks like they've divided the cooking and drinking labors in their household - namely, Amanda does the cooking and Gordie does the bartending (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, guys...). At any rate, looking at some of the fun drinks that Gordie comes up with inspired me to look up some cocktails online today. And in my perusing, I found what must be the worlds worst cocktail.

Without further ado, Brennivin, Iceland's "unofficial" national drink.

Fermented potato pulp seasoned with caraway seeds (gag). Served with a "chaser" of putrified shark meat.

PLEASE let me know if anyone has ever tried it, I'd be fascinated to hear how it tastes...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had the harkarl, but it was chased with Schnapps that night. Which I didn't drink. So I just had lingering putrified shark on my palate.

And I think you reversed it - the booze chases the shark.

Frank!!! said...

Yeah, I think I had it once at this party where the host was Icelandic.

I don't remember the finer details of the shot I had, but I remember not liking it and switching over to beers from there on out.

Tom said...

Mmmmm: "It is sometimes called svarti dauĂ°i ('black death')"

Even has a nickname that makes me want to run out and get some.

Amanda said...

Oh my!! That does sound disgusting. I'm very impressed that some people here have actually tried it. Looks like I don't need to do so anytime soon, though...

And yep, Gordie's a pretty good bartender, and I guess that is generally how the jobs break down around here. Works out pretty nicely. :)

Sarah said...

We were actually talking about this on call last night. The nurse I was chatting with says the meat is not so wonderful, but she actually loved the chaser. Not sure if it was this particular chaser, tho!